Again to Past – Vintage style wedding photography
Wedding in vintage style is one of the most popular and common styles of celebration among modern newlyweds.
Wedding in vintage style is one of the most popular and common styles of celebration among modern newlyweds.
Vintage style wedding photography requires very careful preparation and organization. Not for nothing they say everything new is well forgotten old, and retro weddings are becoming increasingly popular. This year unusual wedding and especially wedding vintage more popular than ever! However, it is not surprising: the traditional festival many had pall, wants romance, special atmosphere... and the luxury to enjoy (and how else to feel like a fairy Princess?) and to emphasize the coziness, the family awaited event.
Best antique wedding pictures
An integral part of the wedding ceremony today is photography, almost as it was in the nineteenth century and before. Wedding photography appeared since then, as it became available the technology of creating photographs. And, of course, weddings do not happen without a photographer. It was then, and remains now. Antique wedding pictures you're about to see were made over a century ago. Through pictures you can feel the atmosphere of celebration and sophistication, which is transmitted in time.
The first extant photo was taken in 1826 by Frenchman Joseph Nicephore Niepce. The first wedding photo was taken in 1840. It is the seventh monarch of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland, the first Empress of India Victoria and Prince Albert, who, incidentally, was her cousin. The author of this image is Roger Fenton.
First wedding photo. Author Roger Fenton.
The first antique wedding pictures were staged. They were made in studios and, by the way, not always on the day of the wedding. Often the couple wore the wrong clothes, which were during the wedding ceremony. In the mid-nineteenth century wedding "photo shoot" was quite expensive, are not available for everyone.
In the late 60-ies of the XIX century wedding photography takes a major step forward. Vintage wedding photographers start to shoot the newlyweds directly on wedding ceremonies and their wedding costumes. By the end of the nineteenth century photographers often shoot part of the wedding ceremony.
Fundamental changes were in wedding photography since the Second World War, thanks to the advent of films and mobile flashes. And the profession of the wedding photographer is becoming more and more commercial in nature. Thanks to these photographers, the notion in the wedding photographic industry as a "fixation point." Brides and grooms often were willing to pay for good shots, caught moments, for their sincerity and naturalness. Wedding pictures of 10-30 years of the XX century:
In the second half of the twentieth century, especially in the 1970-ies, wedding photography takes on the character of reportage. Wedding is removed entirely.
The "fixation moment" at the wedding of John and Jacqueline Kennedy, 1953.
Today wedding photography is a popular, widespread business. Now it is divided into many new genres, but still popular Studio photography bride and groom candid wedding photography ceremony.
With the development of wedding photo business is also developing the business of wedding photography post processing services.
How to follow vintage style wedding photography correctly
Don't want to be like everyone else on the wedding photos? The vintage look is just what you need with proper execution of the celebration. How it should look, that you will need to create it and where to do it, explained in this article. It will help to determine the color scheme, a cortege and inspire new original ideas.
"Vintage" originally referred to wine terms. Previously, it designated a good vintage wine. Broadly, this French term has been used in the 1950s, but the real boom in the style falls on the 1990s. At this time beginning to call vintage elegant Antiques. Today, many identify vintage style with a retro feel. Attributes are very similar: old things slightly covered with patina. In contrast to the retro, this style assumes no fakes and uses the base thrift store. All the things must be genuine and have a presentable appearance. The motto of the wedding in vintage style: “Live tastefully and beautifully now!”
In the vintage wedding photo shoot should prevail pastel colors. They will bring in the entourage of mystery, tenderness and refinement. The desired background for the occasion will create the following colors: peach; beige; pale pink; green; light blue; lilac; mint; silver; gold; brown; burgundy.
The design of the vintage style wedding photography not to go beyond the vintage style, be sure to use: genuine leather; linen; wood and metal; gold; pottery; porcelain; cotton; corduroy; velvet; delicate lace; old photos; aged yellowed paper, to achieve the desired effect, if the material is dipped in tea and dried.
Author of the photo: Sergey Veresk
The image of the bride and groom
Wedding dresses in vintage style repeat dress of the previous era — art Deco, retro, etc. dress Length and style should clearly reflect the era chosen: for the wedding in the style of a 1950s dress should be just below the knee with full skirt and belt, 1920s – slinky floor-length dress of silk, satin or satin with embroidery, or Vice versa, just above the knee with a playful frayed hem.
The lace will look spectacular on dresses in almost any era. Don't be afraid trim or embroidery. Be sure to think over make-up: it needs to be bright, accentuates the eyes and lips. Select a hairstyle appropriate to the era: the 1950s, for example, suitable high-water-head haircuts, and, for the 1920s – neat waves, playfully covering the ears and cheeks.
For the groom in a vintage wedding photo shoot you should choose a vest or shirt and suspenders instead of the classic blazer, or pick up a classic tailored tuxedo. And be sure the butterfly: a classy black or a color in the color palette of the wedding.
The bouquet of bride should not be screaming. In its composition welcome fresh flowers and pastel colors. The main options are peony, hydrangea, gypsophila, roses, calla lilies, and freesia. It is very important to decorate the bouquets cameo. Also it is suitable for graceful fluid ribbon or any chain with a pendant. If you decide to stay on the freesia, here you can find a lot of useful tips on compiling a bunch of these flowers. You will also learn who this is for and how to decorate it.
The groom's boutonniere is made of flowers. You can look for the option of artificial components, preferably feathers. On this element it is recommended to fix any vintage item, a key or a medallion.
What to wear to the wedding guests
Guests need to be warned about the dress code for a month or two before the wedding. Not to break the concept, friends of the bride and groom can look for outfits of the 50s. The skirt high-wasted blouses with a sleeve "three quarters", velvet dresses with a full skirt and belt. This accessory can be purchased separately, in another article on how to make the right choice. Shoes can be a kitten heel with a pointed toe. Actual gloves, hats, and a small square purse. Of jewelry you should choose beads and clips.
Wedding procession can be decorated air tissues. For decorating are suitable handy lace, ribbon, figurines of angels, and baskets of flowers. When choosing a car, you should abandon modern cars. Replace any rare car. The main rule – is the elegance and presence of old plaque all over.
The reception area in the style of "Vintage"
Harmonious design of the reception area is one of the most important tasks when organizing a wedding in the style of "vintage". Ceremony looks interesting in the fresh air. Here is the designer more design options, ranging from the arch to furniture for guests. Classic arch, entwined with bright ribbons, is not the only solution. Alternatively it can serve as the wooden door slightly cracked paint. Antique brass handles perfectly complement it. The stage is decorated in the same way that arch, flowers, ribbons, and airy fabrics. On the trees lamps and ribbons of pastel colors hung. Chairs for the guests to choose from wood, slightly worn, but aesthetically pleasing. Decorate with furniture in the same colors as the arch, and the stage is set for the newlyweds.
To maintain the style in the flower design can be a smooth transition of tones in colors from bright to more relax. For lavish and sophisticated weddings, suitable roses: peony, shrub and garden, hats, hydrangeas, calla lilies and tulips. Charm bouquet you can give succulents. For easier composition and vintage bouquet can be composed of chrysanthemums, carnations, ranunculuses.
Vintage style in the decor you can emphasize completely different: the decor may be bright, lush and elegant or, on the contrary, light, unobtrusive and touching. For this style are characteristic of the variety of decor, the various elements that keep the mood and the soul of a bygone era.
To create the required atmosphere, you can use the basic elements of vintage style: old suitcases and record players, typewriters, which can serve as a great area for wishes, the mirror in shabby frames, old watches and figurines.
Old dresser and chairs can be a great photo zone, grandma's dressing table can be used for the entourage of the bride fees, and the chests and boxes are great to decorate a wedding dinner. Unchanged elements in vintage style – are old brooches, cameos and combs, which can complement the image of the bride, and of course, thin long candles in candelabras or antique candlesticks.
How to build vintage wedding photo shoot
We all know that to observe the style to the last detail – is not so easy. Food prepared according to recipes of the mid-20th century clothing and accessories guests, appropriate music, and this is not to mention the entourage of Banquet halls, invitations and other things. Therefore, the preparation should be taken very seriously. There is another option, less complicated and costly – vintage wedding photo shoot modest, intimate feast in the company of your loved ones. So not only will you be able to enjoy the atmosphere and the spirit of antiquity, but also become the happy owner of beautiful photos that will help to preserve fond memories.
Choose a place for filming and outfits – serious, but not the only stage of preparation. Here, as elsewhere, a very important detail. Such which you can spice up your snapshots, create a realistic picture of the past. You will help of antique objects found in the attics or on the collapse of European flea markets. Will let the bride looking for elegant decorative cage, harmoniously accentuating her own breezy silhouette, let the groom is gaining a love message on the vintage typewriter, and let no detail will be superfluous: “accidentally” forgotten a notebook, small photo in a frame standing on the table, the clock flashed in the background... thanks to your imagination, all the charming details you will be able to become one and to assemble a mosaic of your long-awaited happiness!
We, in turn, offer you a list of 10 places for a wedding photo shoot in the style of “Retro”, which may rely on a vintage wedding photographer:
1. The bride's house. If you are arranging a wedding in vintage style, and the apartment of the bride should issue accordingly. Decorate it with flowers, paintings, various objects of antiquity.
2. The Registrar's office. The design of the room of the bride and groom should be in some Wedding vintage style. This is a great opportunity to make stunning pictures. Therefore, if your wedding will be sustained in the retro style, the choice of the Registrar focuses on the design of his premises.
3. Wedding photo shoot in nature will suit absolutely any wedding style, and the retro-style is no exception. Using vintage accessories, you can get extraordinary shots.
4. Parks, squares, estates are great because they combine the beauty of nature, and amenities. For example, benches that can be nice to beat for your photo shoot. In the parks you can also find beautiful old buildings, columns and fountains.
5. Restaurant. Photos shoot for a table in the restaurant – is the perfect solution for your wedding pictures. Most importantly is the design of the Banquet hall in vintage style. If your chosen restaurant does not meet these requirements, you can find another place for such personnel. For example, in some malls you can find a café, decorated in retro style.
6. The picturesque streets of the city. If in your city there are places that exist more than one generation, you can use them for his photo shoot.
7. The photo on the background of old houses or houses built in the retro style, you always look very beautiful and original. But in this case much depends on the photographer, because only a good specialist will be able to find beauty in the ugly, at first glance, the place.
8. Theatre. For my vintage photo shoot you can also choose the building of the theatre, if it is made in retro style. Images can be done without going inside the building, as will look beautiful and the photo taken on the steps, and columns, and at the main entrance.
9. Museum. In the same way as in the case of theatre, you can take a picture on the background of the Museum, but here you can go inside the building by purchasing a subscription. In the Museum you can find very beautiful interior, which perfectly fits the concept of your wedding.
10. Hotel room. Photo session can continue after the wedding if you decide to make some pictures at the hotel. But for this you will need to find a room, the design of which is made in retro style.
7 tips for great wedding photos
Theme vintage style wedding photography is very important topic. So we have prepared for you some tips for a good photo shoot.
1. Of course you can see pictures of other couples and their poses in the Internet, but never imitate them take a position which is convenient to you, then you will look as easy and natural.
2. Follow your personality and not trying to play any role. If you want to make, not forced funny. In the 80s and 90s there was, for example, so terrible, pseudo-funny photos, where the photographer have to build the poor bride-to-be couples with perspective-game is totally stupid. Something I don't want to make – so no photos, must be funny.
3. If you have the time and a vintage wedding photographer in both reportage and posed photos, then consider together with you in the run-up to the wedding, at which locations the images could and get there just from your feeling. If you unrestrained Knut's fight, then. If you just shout want joy, then cries (but warn your guests, if you are in the vicinity). And if you want to just stand next to each other and holding hands, then does exactly that. What is important is that your tip # 4 observed.
4. You in advance an exact plan, when on the day of the wedding, your photos want to make, and for how long. Remember that your guests will find it less funny when your time gone just two hours. If so, realize on the day of the wedding, perhaps only a half-hour stress-free, then consider whether an After-Wedding-Shooting could come in question, or whether you need to change the process maybe just a little. The main thing is that you guys are in the photos, no Stress. Because then you look on the pictures later. Stressed.
5. Now it gets tricky: accessories can seem incredibly boring (I'm just saying: heart balloons). On the other hand, they will allow you to make individual images. Therefore, my tip would be: Yes, in General, nothing against accessories is fine – but please, only if you also have a reference to you or connect you.
6. So. Schedule, the day X has come, the sun is shining, the birds are tirilieren, and you have solved with your photographer from the crowd of guests and want to get started, but... If the tree does not interfere in the Background? And the wall over there? And anyway, the lipstick is still three times tightened? If I was in the Moment and fly on the wall, then I would call you: "Makes you loose! Your photographer knows what he's doing! Trust him and just be yourself! “ There are a lot of possibilities to retouch photos after the photo shoots with wedding photo editing service.
7. In this in mind: relax, enjoy the day and just have fun!! And don't worry about it, if you can get just as delightfully crazy photos. If it fits your mood on this day and to you, all on their own!
10 tips for editing vintage photos
As you already know vintage photography black and white very popular lately and instead of buying special equipment you can simply learn how to process photos in Photoshop.
1. Choose photos wisely
The style of "Vintage" became so popular that people are trying to create it on each photo. There are no reasons why you shouldn't do this, but keep in mind that for the best vintage images, you will notice such items, which in themselves create a feeling of aging. For example, a person dressed in something old fashioned, standing near an old car, but if the girl holding the bag "Hello Kitty", a vintage effect would be inappropriate.
2. Create a border
Some things can wear out the even more than creating a Polaroid effect. In Photoshop, for example, you can add borders around the photo. Be sure that not only vintage photography black and white is popular, you should always make experiments. But don't stop at a simple frame! Try to use layer styles to mess up the edges of the photo. There should be brown spots that result from aging of the paper.
3. Experiment with color
In old photographs the color is usually darker and not as saturated. A similar effect can be created using several layers in Photoshop, filled with cyan, Magenta and yellow color with different opacity. The idea of this technique is to add the color layers over the image and use them to different levels of opacity. This image you will notice different shades.
4. Create grit
In old photographs and videos, there is the grit that creates the aging effect. Graininess can be produced by adding monochromatic noise. To do this, in Photoshop there is a filter Add Noise (Filter → Noise → Add Noise). But be careful with the amount of noise, otherwise it will snow like noise on the TV screen.
In many pictures, not even very old, you may notice scratches and scuffs. In Photoshop reproduce this effect with custom or special brushes. So the scratches are not too bright and eye-catching, lower the opacity of the layer.
6. Add texture
Vintage photographs have appeared long ago, and so for all time of existence, they may be torn, dented or damaged. We can impose the folds with a special texture, which you can find online or make yourself. Take a paper bag, crumple it and scan. Position the texture over the photo in Photoshop and set the blending mode to Overlay. Additionally, you can add a bit of noise and experiment with color.
7. Use tones of Sepia
Sepia is well suited to create the effect of aging. Golden brown color with the grain is very much reminiscent of the old movies or photos. Correction of Color Balance will help you to get this color. Also the Internet has presets that will simplify your work.
8. The ugliness of the picture
Worn edges create the illusion of a long life of the image. In Photoshop this can be done with a regular brush and pixel masks. Outline the edges of the image to create fading and damaged edges.
9. The blur on the edges
Blur also has the effect of aging, but don't get to use all of the image objects out of focus. In Photoshop you can create a uniform blur around the edges. This tool Elliptical Marquee Tool (M) creates a selection around the objects that should be in focus. Then invert the selection (Select → Inverse), and apply the filter Lens Blur (Filter → Blur → Lens Blur).
The easiest way to put photos is the removal of color. But you can't just remove the color. By lowering the color saturation, try to keep the graininess, blur, Sepia tones, etc.
Through this article you know a lot about planning a photo shoot in vintage style, but I want to note that this style is associated with vintage photography black and white, so I suggest you learn more about that in New Generation of Bridal black and white photo editing.
You already knew that family photo editing is an integral part of excellent photographs, and not each photographer has enough knowledge and time to make it quality. You can visit our blog where you'll find a lot of interesting articles and tips not only about photo shoot in vintage style, and about other new trends and ideas such as The best wedding boudoir photo shoot ideas - How to surprise a husband.
But if you are an Amateur in photo retouching, give to do this job to the professionals. On our site you can see examples of photo retouch before and after and to see the photo retouching rates of our services. I can assure you that we have extensive experience in this area and are always glad to co-work and have a tempting system of discounts. Rather contact us to make your photos a real masterpiece!